The holiday season often means welcoming out-of-town visitors. If your spare bedroom has been doubling as your junk room for the last 11 months, how can you transform it into an inviting space for friends and family members? We asked Elba I. Cox, principal broker and owner of EcoPro Realty Group in Lake Oswego for her tips on transforming your guest room into a space your visitors may never want to leave.
- Declutter – Make sure there’s enough floor space to store suitcases, and add a handful of beautiful hangers in the closet. Having a place to hang clothes and tuck away suitcases will go a long way in keeping the room tidy and relaxing.
- Update your bedding – Change out any worn-out bedding with clean, crisp sheets and sumptuous blankets. Having several different pillows available will ensure everyone has what they need for a good night’s sleep. And don’t be stingy with the bed linens; they should be at least 300 thread count.
- Add nightstands – Guests need a spot to store smartphones and other small items at night. Top each nightstand with a lamp and reading materials. Put out some wonderful magazines about Oregon or books about what to do in the Pacific Northwest. If you have a television, move it into the guest bedroom.
- Create a sitting area – Add a comfortable chair or two in the corner; if the space is small, a bench or ottoman will do the trick. Set up a small table or tray to hold water or wine, a coffee or teapot, mugs, glasses and snacks. This is a welcoming touch for people who arrive late and a convenience for everyone if your visitors are early risers.
- Provide bathroom basics – Put out a beautiful basket with the best towels in your house, as well as toiletries, lotions, creams, washcloth or anything someone might need. Take it the extra mile by adding a luxurious bathrobe and slippers.
- Add fresh flowers – A bright bouquet of flowers adds freshness to the room and provides a personal touch to welcome your guests.
For more information on Elba Cox,
principal broker at EcoPro Realty Group, visit ecoprorealty.com
or email [email protected]